IPv4 Full Form – Internet Protocol version 4

Full Form of IPv4

The full form of IPv4 is the Internet Protocol version 4.

IPv4Internet Protocol version 4
CategoryNetworking
RegionGlobal

What is IPv4

Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) is a protocol for the use of packet-switched link-layer networks (for example, Ethernet). IPv4 provides an addressing capacity of approximately 4.3 million addresses.

Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) is the fourth revision in the development of the Internet Protocol (IP) and the first version of the protocol to be widely implemented.

IPv4 was the first version implemented for production on SATNET in 1982 and on ARPANET in January 1983. It is still used to route most of the Internet traffic today, despite the continued deployment of a successor protocol, IPv6.

 differences Between IPv4 and IPv6

  • IPv4 uses four 1-byte decimal numbers, separated by a period while IPv6 uses hexadecimal numbers that are separated by a colon .
  • IPv6 simplified the task of the router compared to IPv4.
  • IPv6 is more compatible with mobile networks than IPv4.
  • IPv6 allows larger payloads than IPv4 allows.
  • IPv6 is used by less than 1% of networks, while IPv4 is still used by the remaining 99%.

Related Full Forms List

IPv6 Full Form – Internet Protocol version 6
GPRS Full Form – General Packet Radio Service
IPCP Full Form – Internet Protocol Control Protocol
TCP Full Form – Transmission Control Protocol
PPTP Full Form – What is Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol

If you have questions and answers related to IPv4, then tell us your thoughts in the comment, know the complete meaning of IPv4 in this article.

Please also find IPv4 meaning in other sources. Find Useful Terms and Definitions which we use in daily life but we do not know their full name meaning, Here’s a list of important abbreviations that you should know.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *